About Me

Hi! I'm Becca Fitzpatrick, the author of the internationally bestselling HUSH, HUSH saga. When not writing, I'm most likely running, prowling sale racks for shoes (stilettos, please!), or enjoying one of life's many little indulgences: Ice cream, Veronica Mars, losing myself in a book, painting my toenails, or simply daydreaming. I do my best to update this blog as frequently as possible with news on upcoming events, tips for writers, and all things pertaining to my books.

13 June 2012

My Favorite (Summertime!) Things

When I was a teen, autumn was my favorite time of year. I loved watching the leaves change, running cross-country, shopping for school clothes, and wearing leather riding boots. I still love fall, but summer is my favorite season now. It's hot! The sun rises early! I can camp! And hike! And when it comes to my writing, I take a very relaxed approach: an hour or two poolside with my laptop is considered a success. Suffice it to say, I ADORE summertime. Below are a few of my favorite things about summer.

1. Country music. I don't know if it's a throwback to my childhood, growing up in the middle of the Midwest, but when I see cornfields sprouting along the highway, I want nothing more than to crank up the radio, roll down the windows, and belt out Alabama, Sawyer Brown, and Faith Hill.  Despite critics complaining about lyrics bemoaning the loss of the family dog, divorce, and trucks, country music fills me with the carefree, easy-breezy feeling that is summertime.

2. Hiking and camping. Fortunately, living in Colorado makes both these activities a cinch. One of my favorite places to hike/camp is Estes Park. You never know when you'll run into deer, elk, or even a bear. Speaking of which, we saw a black bear on our family hike up Horsetooth Mountain this past Memorial Day!



3. Beach Reads. Last year I discovered The Summer I Turned Pretty series by Jenny Han. I love-love-love these books. What is more quintessentially summer than a summer romance? I love Belly and Conrad's story, and I've already packed the first book in my pool tote, fully intending to get lost in it again. These books remind me of my first summer romance, shortly before the start of my junior year of high school. I'd been in love with one particular guy since seventh grade, but he didn't notice me until the summer I was sixteen. A total Belly-Conrad moment!


4. Triathlon. If you've followed this blog for a year, you know I competed in a sprint tri last summer. It was my second sprint, and this summer I'm pulling out the big guns--I'm doing an Olympic tri! I'm a little nervous, especially about the swim, but I'm also looking forward to setting new goals and challenging myself. There is something incredibly rewarding and empowering about conquering fears (swimming!) and making them strengths. The pic below is from last year's tri--my little sister has always been one of my biggest cheerleaders!


5. Family. I'm looking forward to once again spending laid-back hours with the people I love most. Baseball in the park, roasting s'mores in the backyard, water gun fights, and bike rides to the ice cream parlor are on our to-do list. What's not on the list? Homework, early bedtimes, and jam-packed schedules.

Happy Summer!

-Becca


No comments: